It’s time for some big, messy fun. These Big Ol’ Ice Cream Sandwiches are satisfying in every way: easy to make, sweet and plentiful. They’re great for when you feel like treating yourself to something awesome, and you need a lot of satisfaction for your caloric buck. And actually, for your buck in general, ’cause these are pretty cheap to make, too!
These aren’t low calorie, but bear in mind that they’re quite large, and very satisfying. The cookies that make the sandwiches are roughly 1/4″ thick and have about a 3″ diameter, plus they’re made mostly from bananas and quick oats. This translates to a very big, very chewy cookie that’s actually filling – shocking, but true. And there’s a full 1/4 cup of ice cream filling in each sandwich, so between that and the cookies, one of these will keep you busy for quite a while. If you can spare 200 calories and you feel like you could do with a nice treat, I declare these totally worth it.
The nutritional info I show assumes you’ll be using So Delicious® Dairy Free Ice Cream in the recipe, which is a decent choice since it’s very low fat and somewhat low calorie for an ice cream. It’s also vegan, and untroubled by the terrible two: partially hydrogenated fats and high fructose corn syrup. I wish it was low sugar, but you can’t always have your ice cream and eat it, too. Use whatever you like, according to your own nutritional priorities.
Another option is to use whipped topping, which has pros and cons. The pros are that it’s fabulously inexpensive and very easy to work with. The cons are that even light versions are higher calorie than I like and contain saturated fats and high fructose corn syrup. Even with whipped topping, these are still healthier than garden variety cheapie ice cream sandwiches. Opt for something else if you can, but if you’re on a tight budget, do what ya gotta.
Big Ol’ Ice Cream Sandwiches (inspired by The Burlap Bag’s 2 Ingredient Cookies)
4 ripe bananas
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup Stevia In The Raw®
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional, but nice)
and if you want to make them chocolate, 1/4 cup cocoa
water if needed
8 oz. or 2 cups (1 pint) of ice cream filling
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease a cookie sheet, or use a silicone baking liner.
2. In a medium bowl, mash and squish the bananas until they’re fairly liquified. Stir in the remaining non-ice cream ingredients. If the cookie dough seems a little stiff, add a teaspoon or so of water.
3. Drop the cookies by super-heaping tablespoons on the cookie sheet, and shape them into cookie discs; they won’t spread at all as they bake. You’ll probably be able to fit eight cookies on a sheet.
4. Bake for 13-15 minutes. When they’re done, cool them on a rack while the other eight cookies bake. Sit out the ice cream to let it soften.
5. Once all the cookies are totally cool, use a scoop to portion out ice cream and make them into thick sandwiches. Wrap each in foil and store them in the freezer.
Per mega-sized ice cream sandwich (129g): 222 calories; 3.7g fat (.6g sat); 0mg cholesterol; 30mg sodium; 44.5g carbohydrates; 5g protein