Vegan Chickpea Recipes – When I want a delicious, super healthy meal that’s ready in less than 30 minutes, Chickpeas Florentine with Portobellos and Peppers is one of my go-tos. It’s hot and ready in no time, and I love the magic garlic and Italian herbs work on these simple, healthy ingredients!
Seriously, the portobellos make this dish! They’re so juicy and savory and full of wonderful umami…to my palate, they do what steak does but better, and that’s why I love them in vegan recipes. I also love that they’re incredibly low calorie, full of fiber and a great source of natural antioxidants, too.
Don’t get me wrong, I like how healthy it is, but what I really love is the flavor. Garlic, herbs, spinach, chickpeas and all the portobellos I can handle…I look forward to this meal all day, and when it’s time to cook I hardly have to wait. Awesome!
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
I love vegan chickpea recipes, and this is one of my faves. Hi protein chickpeas, juicy portobellos, bright peppers and fresh spinach cook together in a healthy, craveable one pot meal.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 large red bell pepper or 4-5 mini peppers, chopped
- 3 cups (8 oz.) sliced small portobellos
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 15 oz. can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 Tbs lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and onion in a large nonstick saucepan or cooking pot. Raise the heat to medium-low and saute the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and bell pepper. Raise the heat to medium and saute for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat slightly if the garlic starts to brown. Add the portobellos and saute another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas. Fold in the spinach leaves and lemon juice and heat through for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/chickpeas_florentine_nutrition.jpg" width="247" height="317" class="aligncenter size-full" title="chickpeas_florentine_nutrition"]