I’m making all these fresh, healthy salsas for Cinco de Mayo and I wanted something great to go with them, so I made a big batch of Chipotle and Lime Oven Baked Tortilla Chips. You guys, no kidding. They’re ridiculously delicious. Ridiculicious.
I really wanted to do these with corn tortillas, but again I’m not kidding, the store was out of them. Like no corn tortillas in the place, and even more amazing, I’m still put out about it. Either they quit carrying them or there was a mad corn tortilla rush last week and I just came too late. That must be it. People were probably making these chips!
So I had to use flour tortillas this time but I’ve used corn before, and the recipe works the exact same way. Same method, same oven temperature and everything. But just in case you get stuck with big ol’ wheat tortillas, here’s a decent way to cut them so your chips aren’t huge.
Cut the tortilla in half. I forgot to show this, but after that stack the pieces together.
Spread them out on a cookie sheet. Now we’ve made decent chips out of a big tortilla! I showed this all on a naked tortilla, but in real life save this step until after you’ve brushed the tortillas with lime juice and oil. You’ll see what I mean when you get to the recipe, but it just makes the whole deal less fiddly.
I used to make oven baked tortilla chips by just spraying them with nonstick or brushing them with oil and baking them, but they always came out too hard. Not very fun to eat, and not at all crisp and delicate. But then it occurred to me when I was thinking about something completely else that acid breaks down and tenderizes…so brushing the chips with lime juice before baking them might do the trick. It totally did the trick! The lime juice is what makes these so beyond munchable, and it goes great with chipotle seasoning too.
These are going to be my go-to when I just can’t live without chips. Oven baked tortilla chips are healthier and I think a lot more delicious than plastic bag chips, and they just look so cool and creative. And the chipotle gives them a serious kick!
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Chipotle and Lime Oven Baked Tortilla Chips are a fun alternative to boring old chips in a bag. Bake up a batch to go with your favorite salsas!
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- Either 1 12 oz. package corn tortillas or 8 regular size whole wheat tortillas (there are lots of vegan and gluten free brands out there, so check the labels)
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- about 4 Tbs chipotle seasoning
- Heat the oven to 350. Stir the lime juice and oil together.
- Use a pastry brush to thoroughly coat a tortilla with juice and oil, then cut it up how you like. Arrange the pieces on a cookie sheet. Repeat until the sheet is full. Sprinkle the pieces with chipotle seasoning.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. If some of the pieces are getting pretty dark at this point, take them out.
- When you take them out, some of the pieces may still be flexible. Don't worry, they'll crisp as they cool. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Makes 12 oz. of chips, enough to fill a generous medium-sized bowl.