Here’s one of life’s great conundrums: salad is healthy, but it’s hard to buy a healthy salad dressing, especially if you like the creamy stuff! Even if you can find one that’s low fat (and/or dairy and gluten free), they’re all so loaded with sodium that we might as well just put some salt on our salads and call it a day.
But wait! This could be your salad, covered in delectably creamy dressing! Two tablespoons only has 40 calories, less than 4 grams of fat and 3% of daily recommended sodium. And it’s vegan and gluten free friendly! And it only took about 5 minutes to make and tastes better than any “lite” bottled dressing I’ve tried. And I made a cup of it for less than $1.50!
Ah, just look at that! Delicious creamy salad dressing all over the place, and it’s healthy AND vegan and gluten free and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. All you need is a blender, a clove of garlic, a handful of other stuff and a willingness to think of tofu as soy – which it is, but soy salad dressing sounds yummier than tofu salad dressing. Forget I even said tofu. This is soy salad dressing. Soy. It tastes not even slightly like tofu, because it’s whizzed into creamy heavenliness with garlic and seasonings.
6 minPrep Time
6 minTotal Time
- 7 oz. (half a package) soft tofu
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 1 Tbs)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 tsp vinegar (I used red wine vinegar, very yum)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- about 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- about 1/4 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning blend
- any other herbs and spices you want to throw in there
- Combine the first set of ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients. Done! You can eat it right away, or put it in the fridge for an hour or so to let the garlic flavor get stronger. Store it in a lidded jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free-friendly. Check the labels on your ingredients to make sure they work for you.
Per 2 Tbs, about 33g: 40 calories (32 calories from fat); 3.6g fat (6%)(0g trans); 0mg cholesterol (0%); 77mg sodium (3%); 0.8g carbohydrates (0%); 1.8g protein; Vitamin A 0%; Calcium 3%; Vitamin C 2%; Iron 2%; Potassium 1%