Sometimes I need a little weeknight drama in my life.
Not TV drama, because I get way too into it, and I can’t live at that speed. I actually had to swear off Mad Men because I felt bleak and cranky for hours after every episode. Maybe I was jonesing for an Old Fashioned and someone to have a ruinous affair with.
But food drama? Bring that noise on! Ambush me with spice! Romance me with flavor! Make me feel like I’m being chased through the streets of Calcutta when I’m really having a super-safe dinner on the couch!
So if you’re ready to get fanciful, here’s my Calcutta adventure: Cremini mushrooms, brown rice, spinach, peppers and onions (how healthy is all that??) stir-fried in a little olive oil and a whallop of thrillingly hot curry spices. The mellow, juicy mushrooms contrast with the fiery spices and they almost get drowned out…but not quite. We’re getting a little dramatic flavor tension going on here!
I call this a weeknight drama because it’s easy to throw together and there’s no need to get a table involved. Technically you don’t need napkins, although they’re always nice to have. Everything clings together casserole-style, so just scoop it into a bowl, grab a fork and scurry off to your favorite comfy zone to nosh. Bonus points if you pretend to be on a Calcutta adventure.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
50 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- Spice list:
- 1 Tbs red curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Everything else:
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1" fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. package cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 c fresh spinach greens
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 3 c cooked brown rice (cooked from 1 c raw rice, and here's a nice how-to )
- water to use throughout
- Combine the olive oil and spices in a wok or large skillet on low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 c water to deglaze.
- Add the pepper, ginger and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 c water to deglaze. Reduce the heat slightly.
- Add the mushrooms and another 1/4 c water. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The spinach will wilt down. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Stir in the brown rice and another 1/4 c water. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cover until ready to serve.
Prep time includes cooking brown rice.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/label-16.png" width="298" height="494" class="aligncenter size-full" title="nutrition info" alt="nutrition info"]