An easy black beans and rice recipe is a real nice thing to have up your sleeve for those times when you want a lot of eating, a lot of nutrition and a lot of yum without a lot of effort.
Easy black beans and rice is one of my go-to easy dinners. It’s filling and I get to do a lot of eating with it, which I love. Try mowing through a big bowl of black beans and brown rice sometime. It takes effort! It’s a lot of food and a lot of chewing, and most nights that’s my very definition of a good time. Plus, black beans and brown rice are both great sources of protein and nutrients so this is a really healthy choice.
I like my black beans and rice to have a little extra oomhp, so I load em up with Mexican spices, peppers and onions. The peppers and onions taste great _and_ add a ton of vitamin C to the dish, and that always helps me feel energized and in a great mood. Just look at those gorgeous peppers! They’re like fresh veggie confetti. I had to show you before I cooked em up.
Easy Black Beans and Rice is:
- gluten free
- high protein, high fiber, full of vitamins and minerals
- a great choice when you want a lot of filling, healthy food
- good for those times when you want something great without a big effort
- full of flavor and spice
I hope you’re hungry! If you make this, there’s going to be a lot of eatin goin on. 🙂
Serves 1 cup
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Easy Black Beans and Rice is one of my favorite meals when I want a lot of good food without working hard in the kitchen.
5 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1/2 c uncooked brown rice (will yield about 1 1/2 c cooked)
- 2 Tbs olive or canola oil
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 small bell peppers
- 1/2 a jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 c cooked black beans (equivalent to 2 15 oz cans rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 tsp salt (skip if using canned beans)
- Make the rice according to package directions. When the rice is almost done, combine the oil and chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder and red pepper flakes over medium-low heat. Let the spices bloom in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Raise the heat to medium and add the peppers. Saute 3-4 minutes. Stir in the rice and saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in the black beans and salt if using, reduce the heat to medium low and let everything heat through for about 5 minutes.
Cooking time includes cooking brown rice. After the brown rice cooks, the active cooking time is around 15 minutes.
Here’s a nifty pinnable image for your boards.
You know I’m a big fan of cooking black beans from scratch, and I have a method that gives me great results every time. The best part? NO SOAKING! Because who has time for that when you can do it this way! Here’s how I like to cook black beans from scratch if you want to check it out.
If you’re in the mood for more deliciously healthy Mexican goodies (and more fun things to do with black beans!) check out my Mexican Hot Chocolate Double Fudge Brownies and Easy Mango Black Bean Salsa.