Easy Tomato and Cucumber Salad is healthy, fresh and delicious, FAST!
skill level: EASY
• simple ingredients
• easy kitchen moves
• ready in about 10 minutes
easy • cheap • colorful • yum
Easy Tomato and Cucumber Salad is a nifty little salad you’ll make again and again. It’s simple, colorful and light. A handful of fresh basil adds instant next-level.
It’s this easy:
• chop veggies into bowl
• throw basil at bowl
• squeeze lemon near (preferably over) bowl
• stir contents of bowl, taste, add salt and pepper to your liking
It looks and tastes foodie without getting all harsh and demanding that you actually cook.
I guess it’s cooking in that ingredients are combined to make a dish, probably in a kitchen. Don’t take that for granted though; last summer I had a period of making nice cream in bed (and that’s why hand blenders are magical.)
Tomato and cucumber salad is a great basic recipe to have up your sleeve. I kind of want to say “to have up your apron,” but that just sounds wrong. Off the top of my head, I can make a whole list of tomato and cucumber salad pros:
• goes well with all kinds of meals, great by itself too
• quick to make, ready in the time it takes to chop a few veggies
• super low calorie and very healthy with a light dressing
• very easy, which we already covered
• you have to go out of your way to not make it vegan and gluten free (good to know if you’re neither and need to bring a covered dish somewhere)
• cost efficient under any circumstances, and if someone with a garden hooks you up with the main ingredients it’s practically free
• if you have a veggie garden you probably grow tomatoes already, and there’s a good chance cucumbers and maybe even basil are lurking in there too
I always feel justified in eating heaps of this salad. Lots of vitamins and nutrients, and just 31 calories per cup. [drops mike]
• 31 calories (!)
• 1.5g fiber
• 1.4g protein
• 1 Weight Watchers Smartpoints®
See the nutrition label for more info.
Make it your way!
Easy Tomato and Cucumber Salad is a basic recipe. Change some ingredients and give it a new taste!
Add your favorite yummies or try some of these easy ideas:
Hot n’ Spicy
Add one of these a little at a time until you’re happy with the heat.
Hot pepper flakes • Tabasco sauce • Hot sauce • Chopped jalapeño • Chopped garlic
• replace the lemon juice with 1/3 cup of rice wine vinegar
• replace the basil with fresh coriander (cilantro) or mint leaves
• add a teaspoon of sweetener
• top with small handful of toasted sesame seeds before serving
• replace the lemon juice with 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
• add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning
• add half a clove of chopped garlic
• add chopped olives
Pin it for later!
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 a small red or white onion, outer skin peeled off and chopped Coupons
- 2 cucumbers, chopped (peeling is optional)
- 2 1/2 Tbs lemon juice (either bottled or from one large lemon) Coupons
- 1/2 c fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away or refrigerate for up to an hour.
- optional - sprinkle extra basil leaves over each serving.
Nutrition info is based on the original recipe ingredients.