Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake makes dinner healthy, fast and fun!
Skill level: EASY
Kitchen basics like using the oven and chopping veggies are all you need to make this recipe.
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is a smart food choice. It’s a great source of whole grains, lean protein and fresh vegetables. Each serving has:
• 330 calories
• 8g fiber
• 11g protein
• 10 Weight Watchers Smartpoints®
• essential vitamins and nutrients
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free friendly!
This is a meal that makes dinner fun! Bright colors, Mexican flavors, easy cooking and quick clean-up = weeknight fiesta!
Make it your way!
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is a basic recipe you can change up with a few ingredient swaps! Unleash your creativity, or try some of these easy ideas:
Hot n’ Fiery
Add Anaheim, poblano, jalapeño, hatch or habanero peppers • use hot taco sauce • top with hot salsa
Use canned refried beans instead of black beans • add meatless ground crumbles or crushed walnuts • top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, dairy or dairy-free sour cream and chile sauce
Use salsa verde instead of taco sauce • add meatless chik’n • use white or Jack dairy or dairy-free cheese • top with dairy or dairy-free sour cream and salsa verde
Healthy AF (Clean Eating)
Use healthy homemade taco sauce instead of bottled • use cauliflower rice instead of brown rice • leave off the cheese or use healthy homemade dairy free/paleo friendly cheddar (blogs with recipes are linked)
Pin it for later!
Before you start
For the Healthy AF (Clean Eating) variations you’ll need to make taco sauce, cauliflower rice and/or paleo cheddar in advance.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can salt free black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 bottle taco sauce, 16 oz. size
- half a red bell pepper, chopped
- half a small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or nondairy cheese
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- half a bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- optional - a few pinches of salt free taco seasoning or spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika) for garnish
- Have the rice ready in a mixing bowl or the pot you cooked it in. If you're making instant rice, follow the instructions on the box for 4 servings.
- Turn the oven on to 350.
- Have a 9" x 9" baking pan ready. Grease the inside with cooking spray or a little oil if it's not nonstick.
- Add the beans, corn, taco sauce, pepper and onion to the rice. Stir everything together.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly in the baking pan. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top each portion with tomato and cilantro, and enjoy.
Nutrition info is based on the original recipe ingredients.
More easy, healthy brown rice dinners!
Make it meatless/dairy free! Try meatless ground crumbles for turkey, vegetable broth for chicken broth, dairy-free cheese for Mexican cheese blend.
Make it dairy free! Try VeganEgg for eggs, dairy-free cheese for cheddar.
Make it meatless/dairy free! Try meatless ground crumbles for turkey, dairy-free cheese for cheddar or mozzarella.