Crispy, golden, vegan taquitos with all the fixin’s for a quick, healthy, delicious meal any day of the week.
The magic continues: they taste totally crispy and fried, but they’re baked. I’ll show you how!
The taquito filling is Gardein Chipotle Black Bean Burger. Clever! No hassling around with a dozen ingredients. That’s the secret to making taquitos happen, quick and easy.
I’ve been loving Gardein since forever. They’re one of my absolute favorite vegan brands because their stuff is quick to fix and tastes like unicorns jumping through hoops held by kittens standing on pugs. DELICIOUS.
I have high expectations when it comes to taste. When it comes to vegan meat replacers, they’d better be pretty damn good or I’m not buying. I literally buy Gardein products every single week.
All their stuff is vegan. And speaking of vegan, I know I don’t have to tell you all the EPIC reasons to forgo meat, like better health and not supporting an industry that produces more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector combined. You don’t have to declare yourself vegan to eat vegan food any old time you want. Every vegan meal helps.
So about these taquitos. The filling’s already done for us (thanks Gardein!) The golden-crispy taquito part is all we have to do, and it’s easy. Here’s how to make perfect oven-fried corn tortilla taquitos:
- Heat a small frying pan on medium heat.
- Take a corn tortilla and rub it around in the hot pan for a few seconds. Turn it over and warm the other side. Be punk rock and do this with your bare hands. Make me proud.
- LOOSELY wrap the tortilla around the filling. This is important, and I have a package of broken tortillas to prove it. Keep it super loose!
- Secure the loosely wrapped tortilla with a toothpick. Just kinda stick it in there on an angle, it should stay.
- Spray the living f out of that taquito with your favorite cooking oil spray. Like really douse it.
- Set it toothpick-side down in a baking pan and repeat with the rest of your filling and tortillas. Bake for about half an hour and that’s it. Taquitos are up!
You can’t have taquitos without something to dip them in. That’s an actual crime. So we’ll whip up a quick batch of avocado dipping sauce to go with. It’s got a ton going for it – rich and creamy, packs a nice little kick, made from healthy vegan ingredients – and the best part is you just wham everything into your food processor and blend.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
These easy vegan taquitos are perfect for a quick, delicious weeknight dinner. Gardein Chipotle Black Bean Burgers do the heavy lifting.
2 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 1 package of Gardein Chipotle Black Bean Burgers (there's 4 burgers in each package)
- 8 small corn tortillas
- your choice of cooking spray
- Half a 14 oz. package firm tofu
- 1/2 an avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 c cilantro stems and leaves
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, according to taste
- 1/4 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- For the taquitos:
- Heat the oven to 350. Coat the inside of an 8"x8" or 10"x7" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Thaw the burgers in the microwave according to the package.
- Tear each burger in half and shape into a little sausage.
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet for a few seconds until warm, then flip and warm the other side.
- Loosely wrap the tortilla around a burger-sausage. Secure with a toothpick.
- Spray generously with cooking spray and set toothpick-side down in the dish. Repeat with the rest of the burgers and tortillas.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip them all over.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve.
- For the avocado dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend for 3-4 minutes or until totally smooth and creamy.
Now that’s a rad vegan weeknight dinner. Thanks Gardein, you made it easy!
I know you guys all know about veggie burgers. You came here for more creative ideas than that. But Gardein’s Chipotle Black Bean Burgers are so good I actually had to take a picture of one I had on Monday, topped with some yummy Mexican slaw. Cooked up a little side of sweet potato fries too, and cracked a beer to wash it down. What an awesome meal!
Original post published 4/13/16, edited 9/9/16