Gin’s Chana Masala (a super fabulous vegan chana masala) – Chana masala means chickpeas with Indian or Punjabi spices.
But who wants chickpeas with Indian or Punjabi spices when you could be having chana masala? Doesn’t it sound fabulous and exotic? Chana masala, chana masala. I could say it all day. I could eat it all day, too.
Here’s what a chana masala groupie I am: I came up with my own spin on it and named it after myself. Wait, maybe I’m a groupie for myself. No, it’s chana masala. That’s the point here. Vegan chana masala to be specific, that’s how I roll.
I was just reading this thing (and by thing I mean post, this one to be exact) that described chana masala as nutritionally unimpeachable. Fiercely put, and true. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, potassium and general super healthiness because chickpeas. When it comes to nutrition, they’re everything.
Deliciousness is less certain, but masala to the rescue! The right blend of spices turns them into irresistible little chick magnets, especially if the chick is me.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
A vegan chana masala full of spice and savory flavor.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- - 3 tsp garam masala
- - 2 tsp red curry powder
- - 2 tsp chili powder
- - 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- - 1 tsp smoked paprika
- - 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c sliced portobello mushrooms
- 3 c cooked, drained chickpeas (cooked from 1 c dried, or use 2 15 oz. cans)
- 1 15 oz. can diced no-salt-added tomatoes
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine the oil and spices in a large saucepan or cooking pot. Let the spices bloom over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add roughly 1/4 c water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add another 1/4 c water to deglaze.
- Add the garlic and portobellos. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, peanut butter and salt. Stir to combine well. Cover, turn the heat to low and let everything heat through for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Gins-Chana-Masala-Nutrition.png" width="300" height="462" class="aligncenter size-full" title="Gins Chana Masala Nutrition" alt="Gins Chana Masala Nutrition"]