Easy to make, great nutrition, wonderful Indian flavors – this Indian Quinoa and Chickpea Stir Fry has it all. It’s perfect for #MeatlessMonday, or any day you’re craving a fun, healthy, easy meal.
Love Indian flavors, easy cooking and banging nutrition? This recipe is a keeper! This is quinoa, chickpeas, peppers and spinach stir fried in a little olive oil and a lot of spice. It warms you up from the inside out, it’s easy to make and each serving is loaded with fiber, protein and vitamins. When I eat a bowl of this, I feel better immediately!
The combination of quinoa, chickpeas and spinach makes it crazy nutritious! Each serving provides about 50% of our daily fiber needs and almost 30% of our protein – and it’s totally vegan! Meatless magic.
I love recipes that are more what I’d call methods than strict, you’ve-got-to-follow-this formulas. This is a method recipe, so I can add different veggies and seasonings and make it a little different every time. What I put in it usually depends on what I’ve got in the fridge.
I’m all about being efficient in the kitchen, because sometimes I just don’t want to spend a ton of time cooking. Especially when I’m making this – I want to get my nosh on pronto! So I usually start my quinoa and then let it sit with the lid on while I get on with everything else. That way when it’s time to add the quinoa it’s all done and ready to go.
Mmm, looking at this I can almost smell the spices all over again! Luckily, I have leftovers in the fridge. This keeps really well and the flavors get even better after a day or two, so it’s perfect for easy lunches and suppers all week long.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Easy to make, great nutrition, wonderful Indian flavors - this Indian Quinoa and Chickpea Stir Fry has it all. It's perfect for Meatless Monday, or any day you're craving a fun, healthy, easy meal.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp red curry powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch black pepper
- 1 medium onion, any type, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1" cube fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 red or green chile, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 4 c cooked quinoa (cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions)
- 3 c cooked chickpeas (equals 2 cans rinsed and drained)
- 1 15 oz. can diced salt-free tomatoes
- 4 c fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the olive oil on medium low in a wok or large cooking pot. Add the spices and let them simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat down if they start to burn. I like to use this time to prep the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger.
- Add the onion and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and peppers and stir fry for about a minute. Add the quinoa and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Fold in the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add the salt and stir fry for another minute.
Prep time includes cooking the quinoa.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/label-6.png" width="298" height="494" class="aligncenter size-full" title="Indian Quinoa Stir Fry nutrition" alt="Indian Quinoa Stir Fry nutrition"]
For all you Pinners: