This robust Mediterranean-style cherry tomato sauce with spinach is easygoing and delicious – perfect for Meatless Monday dinner.Sometimes the simplest combination of ingredients yields the most delicious meal. I love when that happens.Cherry tomatoes, spinach, garlic, olive oil and a few classic Italian seasonings…it doesn’t get much simpler than that. But the flavor that happens when they come together is heavenly. It’s rich and bold and robust and fresh and just perfect. It doesn’t crave anything else. Ok, maybe it craves a bed of quinoa or rice or pasta to luxuriate in. But that’s it.
Italian cooks throughout the centuries are looking at me right now and saying, we know that. We know these ingredients work together in perfect taste harmony. You didn’t invent putting tomatoes, garlic and olive oil together and letting them do their thing.
What’s really cool is this sauce is it’s super easy to make. It’s a breeze. The only real skills involved are cutting garlic up small and being able to read the temperature knobs on the stove.
And that’s exactly what I’m looking for on Monday night. A delicious meal to reward myself for getting through the day, and it’s considerate enough to practically make itself. If it poured me a glass of wine and did the washing up after I wouldn’t be surprised. That’s where its heart is.I went with pasta for my sauce this time, but next time I’m going to try it with quinoa. Time after that, brown rice. I might even learn to make polenta so I can put this sauce on it. There’s going to be a lot of this sauce in my life this summer.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
A hearty spinach and cherry tomato sauce flavored with garlic and Italian herbs and spices. Spinach adds iron and protein for a complete meatless meal.
5 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 14 - 16 oz. (about 2 c) cherry tomatoes
- 4 c spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- pinch salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 servings of your favorite pasta, rice or quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- Heat the olive oil on low in a large saute pan. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano and saute 2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes. Slice larger tomatoes in half, and pierce the small ones with a knife so they release juice. Raise the heat to medium and saute about 5 minutes. Chop the spinach into shreds while the tomatoes cook.
- Stir the spinach into the tomatoes until just wilted. Stir in the lemon juice and black pepper. Season to taste and serve hot.
What are some of your favorite Meatless Monday meals? Don’t forget to share with the hashtag #meatlessmonday. It’s a good vibe, so let’s keep it going.
Be good to yourself Mondays and always. 🙂 ~Gin