Mexican fried rice is a fiesta in a bowl! It’s full of color and authentic Mexican flavor, and packs lots of veggie protein for your Meatless Monday meal. I’m really glad to be sharing this Mexican Fried Rice with you for Meatless Monday. Just look at those colors! It’s a bowl of happiness. And rice and beans and veggies and spices, but happiness. It reminds me so much of the time I spent in Arizona, finding out firsthand how awesome colors and flavors can be. Cilantro, lime, corn, peppers and Roma tomato tossed with spicy fried brown rice and black beans…a little sweet, a little hot, a little earthy and totally savory. And there’s a few cloves of garlic in there too, can’t forget those! Garlic is so awesome in Mexican cooking because it brings all those other flavors together in the yummiest way. I like to top mine with a little extra cilantro and a bonus squeeze of lime. I love the fresh, earthy taste they bring. This is such a fun, casual meal…another echo of the southwest for me. You can keep it really simple and just plop down with a bowl, or use it to fill tortillas. It’s also great with some soy or regular sour cream, or a sprinkling of your favorite cheese or cheesy substitute.
The black beans and brown rice make it super filling and nutritious, but it’s those gorgeous Mexican flavors that keep me coming back for more. Which is okay, because the recipe makes a ton. Go leftovers!
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Mexican fried brown rice is colorful, filling and full of bold flavors like cilantro, lime, peppers and spices. An easy, fun Meatless Monday meal.
50 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 4 cups cooked, cooled brown rice (cooked from 1 cup dry rice according to package)
- 3 Tbs your favorite cooking oil, divided (I used olive)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 - 1 poblano, seeded and chopped (use a whole pepper if you like a little heat)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional and for serious heat lovers only)
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, extra juice squeezed out and chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 c cooked black beans (or 2 cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 c fresh cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra cilantro and lime to serve
- Place the cooled rice in the fridge to firm up.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large nonstick skillet, wok or cooking pan on medium heat. Add the onion and saute about 3 minutes. Add the peppers and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add the corn and saute 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 5-7 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and heat through 1-2 minutes. Scrape all the cooked veggies out onto a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 more Tbs of oil to the pan and heat on low. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, chipotle and red pepper flakes and let them bloom in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, salt and lime juice. Stir the cooked veggies back in and heat through for a few minutes. fold in the cilantro leaves. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra cilantro and lime.
Prep time includes cooking the brown rice. You can make the brown rice ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to use.
For my Pinterest peeps: Have a great Meatless Monday! ~gin