These spicy peanut noodles are a great choice when you want a good meal without a lot of fuss – perfect for #MeatlessMonday or any busy weeknight. Sometimes I just want a quick, delicious dinner. I don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen – I want to spend a ton of time relaxing with a hot, satisfying meal. That’s what my weeknight spicy peanut noodles are all about: big flavors in little time. It’s just gluten free noodles and a few veggies in a super flavorful but super simple peanut sauce. Couldn’t be easier! I just boil the noodles, and while they cook I bloom a handful of common Indian spices in a little oil. Saute an onion and a pepper in the spices, add some frozen peas, a can of tomatoes and some chunky peanut butter. Bring the noodles in, stir it all up and I’m done and ready to sit down with a bowl of spicy peanut noodle goodness.
With a little easy multitasking, this comes together in around 20 minutes. While the noodles cook I prep the few veggies involved and make the sauce. Then I add the noodles to the sauce. Bonus: the only pot I need to wash right away is the noodle cooking pot, cause I’ll be eating out of the sauce pot for a while.
I like to add a little of the noodle water to the sauce before I drain them. It adds a little thickness, and the traces of rice starch in there help the sauce come together.
I usually love working with fresh garlic and ginger and lots of fresh veggies – but not always! Once in a while I just want to get to the food. These are the times when, way back in the day, I would have bought take out or picked up something convenient at the store. I’m not doing that now, but I still want delicious, quick food.
That’s why these spicy peanut noodles are a weeknight favorite of mine. I can use powdered garlic and ginger, frozen veggies, canned tomatoes and just two fresh veggies – onion and pepper – and totally get away with it. They’re kind of background flavors because the peanut sauce and bold Indian spices take center stage. So when quick, easy and delicious is my kitchen mission, this is my go-to meal.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Weeknight Spicy Peanut Noodles are my go-to meal when I want something delicious but don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 8 oz. brown rice noodles
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 c frozen peas
- 14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c natural chunky peanut butter
- Start cooking the brown rice noodles according to the package. When they're done, just turn them off and set aside.
- While that's happening, combine the oil and spices in a large, nonstick cooking pot. Turn the heat to medium low and let them bloom for 2-3 minutes. Chop the onion and pepper while they bloom.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion. Saute about 5 minutes, adding about 1/4 c of water to the pan whenever you feel it looks dry. Add the pepper, garlic powder and ginger and probably another splash of water. Saute another 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and let them heat through for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes and peanut butter. Turn the heat to low.
- When the noodles are done, add 1/2 c of the cooking water to the pot before you drain them. Stir the drained noodles into the pot, and chop them up a bit with two knives in a scissoring motion if you like. Salt to taste.
img src=http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/spicy_peanut_noodles_nutrition.jpg width=246 height=279 class=aligncenter size-full title=Weeknight Spicy Peanut Noodles
Pin it! Here’s another quick and easy peanut sauce dinner I love: Spicy Green Beans in Peanut Sauce. I shared this one for #MeatlessMonday too. Nothing hits my spot at the end of a hectic, back-to-work Monday like peanut sauce!