This is my idea of great summer food. It’s light and super nutritious, the flavors are bold and fresh and it looks like it tastes. Also, making it takes up less than half an hour of kitchen time, so we can get back to important things like relaxing with iced drinks. All that for under $5!
Here are the ingredients:
The most expensive thing in the recipe is quinoa at $2.78, and everything else costs pocket change. The quinoa’s well worth it because it tastes light and fluffy while packing a not so light and fluffy truckload of protein, fiber and various nutrients, a pretty amazing trick. I think the best deal here is the Italian parsley because a giant bunch of it is about $1, and talk about fresh, vibrant flavor!
What makes this really good is the garlic olive oil. Letting the garlic steep and simmer in olive oil for a few minutes gives it a strong but very mellow flavor that makes the whole dish sing.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 c uncooked quinoa (wash and rinse if needed)
- 2 c water
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped (cut them in half and squeeze some of the juice and seeds out before chopping)
- 1 c Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or any hard Italian cheese, grated
- Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside when it's done.
- While the quinoa cooks, combine the garlic and olive oil in a small saucepan on medium low heat. Let the oil soak up the garlic flavor while you chop the tomatoes and tear off parsley leaves. When you notice it simmering after a few minutes, turn the heat off.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, tomatoes and parsley in a large bowl. Stir in the garlic and olive oil and cheese.
This recipe is gluten free-friendly; check the labels on your ingredients to make sure they work for you.
Per 133g, just over a cup: 249 calories (101 calories from fat); 11.2g fat (17%) (0g trans); 5mg cholesterol (2%); 109mg sodium (5%); 30.3g carbohydrates (10%); 4.1g fiber (17%); 8.9g protein; Vitamin A 36%; Calcium 7%; Vitamin C 49%; Iron 67%; Potassium 13%