Quinoa for breakfast? OMG yes! It’s got the comforting-warm-sweet of oatmeal and the fabulous healthiness of quinoa, with a clean, nutty, filling finish. Throw some juicy summer berries in there and it’s a breakfast celebration.
One of the reasons I decided to take the quinoa for breakfast plunge is it’s gluten free. I don’t eat strictly gluten free but I do try to keep wheat on a leash, and after literally years of starting every day with peanut butter on whole wheat toast it was time to change it up. I when I eat quinoa in the morning I feel fresh and alert, and I’m not sure if nutrition or deliciousness gets the credit so I’ll say both.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbs of your favorite sweetener
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 6-7 medium strawberries, hulled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 c blackberries
- Optional - lightly toast the quinoa before cooking. Place the quinoa in a skillet and toast over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The quinoa will be fragrant and light golden brown.
- Bring 2 cups of the almond milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the milk, sweetener and cinnamon and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Fold in the berries.
Adapted from The Wicked Noodle's Breakfast Quinoa recipe
This recipe is vegan and gluten free friendly.
Per 184g serving, about 1 cup: 119 calories (20 calories from fat); 2.2g fat (3%)(0g trans); 0mg cholesterol (0%); 62mg sodium (3%); 21.6g carbohydrates (7%); 3.6g fiber (14%); 3.7g protein; Vitamin A 4%; Calcium 16%; Vitamin C 24%; Iron 8%; Potassium 7%