Nothing says chill out (in a good way) like a creamy, comforting bowl of rice pudding. And when was the last time you had rice pudding? Too long ago, right? So maybe it’s time to make some, and this one’s pretty awesome: vegan, gluten free, made with brown rice and without refined sugar, and wait! It’s got a twist that makes it so good you’ll forget how healthy it is and just bask in its rice pudding magic.
There’s a trick that makes this rice pudding exquisite, and it’s this: drop some orange zest in with the milk and rice as it simmers. It passes along a wonderfully bright scent and hint of orange flavor that lifts this from a nice, homey comfort food into something cheerfully, remarkably delicious. I found this stroke of pudding genius in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, circa 1962 or something like that, and to me it’s pretty much the best thing to happen to rice pudding ever.
It was so hard not to keep taking bites as I was taking pictures! Eventually the pudding won and I grabbed a spoon like a woman possessed and went to town. Photo shoot over – worth it!!
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
60 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 3 c cooked brown rice (you'll need 1 cup uncooked rice, and here are 4 easy ways to cook it - three if you don't count the rice cooker)
- 2 c unsweetened almond milk (or use your favorite milk)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c agave nectar (or use your favorite sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- several big strips of orange rind (try to cut away as much of the white pith as you can)
- 1/2 c raisins
- Combine everything except the raisins in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fish out the orange rind. Stir in the raisins. Return to a simmer, stirring frequently, for another 15 minutes. Serve hot, cold or in between. Store refrigerated in an airtight container, where it will keep for a week.
Prep time includes cooking the rice.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free friendly.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/label-1.png" width="298" height="494" class="aligncenter size-full" title="brown rice pudding nutrition info" alt="brown rice pudding nutrition info"]