When I read about this fudgy dark chocolate frosting, I had to try it IMMEDIATELY. No butter, no sugar, not even coconut oil – it’s all about dates and cocoa. Dates and cocoa! It’s rich, sweet, creamy and hyper-chocolatey – I love it. I love it so much I invented some healthy peanut butter blondies to spread it on.
You can see how thick and spreadable this stuff is! It inspired me to make my blondies extra thick too. I used date-sweetened quinoa and chickpeas to make them! Very healthy, nice and moist and they have just the right amount of peanut butter goodness.
I cut these extra big for the pics, but they’re very rich. In real life, a little goes a long way…or does it? 🙂
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- Fudge Frosting (from Back to her Roots )
- 1 c dates, pitted (use Medjool for the smoothest frosting)
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1/4 c dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- Peanut Butter Blondies:
- 1 c dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c peanut butter
- 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas (equivalent to 1 can)
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs flax meal
- To make the frosting, place the dates in a food processor and pour the boiling water over them. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Process the dates and water until very smooth. Add the cocoa, vanilla and salt and process until well combined. Refrigerate until frosting will spread and hold shape, which for me took about 45 minutes. If frosting gets too firm, let stand at room temperature to soften.
- To make the blondies, heat the oven to 350. Spray a 5x7 loaf pan with nonstick. Put the dates in a food processor and process to a paste. Add the remaining ingredients one at a time, processing well after each addition.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Let cool completely before frosting.
Prep time includes cooking quinoa. For best results, cook a cup of raw quinoa according to package directions and save the rest.
[img src=http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/label-7.png width=298 height=494 class=aligncenter size-full title=nutrition info alt=nutrition info]