Pineapple fried rice with garlic, ginger, almonds, tons of savory flavor and big pineapple chunks! Makes a great meatless main dish, or serve it on the side. I have a lot of favorite things about summer. For sure, one of them is the abundance of fresh fruit. I barely want to eat anything else. If I could run around barefoot for three months just eating stuff I snatched off trees, I would.Like this pineapple. I love living in rural Pennsylvania, but there’s one drawback: very few wild pineapple trees. Good thing they’re at the store.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Pineapple fried rice made with hearty brown rice, flavored with plenty of garlic and ginger and topped with crunchy toasted almonds. Works as a side or a one-bowl meal.
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 20 Cook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 1 c uncooked brown rice cooked in 2 1/2 c water
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 a fresh pineapple, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces (here's how to cut a pineapple step-by-step) - about 2 1/2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Tbs low sodium/gluten free soy sauce
- 1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar (or use cider vinegar)
- 3 Tbs fresh chives, minced
- 1/3 c toasted almond slivers ( toast in the oven or in a skillet - about 3 minutes on low heat, stirring constantly)
- To cook the brown rice, bring rice and liquid to a boil in a large saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Combine the oil, red pepper flakes and onion in a large cooking pot or wok on medium heat. Stir-fry 5 minutes. Add the pineapple and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, soy sauce, vinegar, chives and almonds.
Next to fresh fruit, my favorite thing about summer? Beat up old flip-flops. Always.What’s your favorite thing about summer?
Take care till next time. 🙂 ~Gin