Spicy stir fried bok choy with quinoa is my kind of fast food! Great nutrition, tons of flavor, done in half an hour!
I made this spicy stir fried bok choy with quinoa last night, and it’s already my new dinner everything. Quinoa, bok choy, portobellos, green onions and peppers, some of the healthiest tasties out there, in a rich, savory, garlicy-gingery-Indonesian stir-fry sauce.
I love the healthiness, I’m romanced by the taste, and I still can’t believe it only took 25 minutes to make!
Here’s my spicy stir fried bok choy with quinoa, still in the wok. All I had to do was make quinoa, chop veggies while the quinoa cooked, blenderize the sauce, stir fry everything a little and douse it with the sauce. That’s not a lot of work, but it tasted like it took tons of work! So awesome.
Less awesome: I’ve worked way harder on dishes that didn’t taste half this good. If I could get that time back, I’d spend it making this.
There are a lot of magical healthy ingredients in my stir fried bok choy with quinoa, but the most magical of them all is bok choy. I guess it stands out to me mostly because I don’t use it often, and why is that? I should be using bok choy all the time!
It’s considered a negative calorie food – like, eating it is enough exercise to burn off its calories – and I truly need more of those in my life. It’s also rad high in fiber, antioxidants, calcium, iron, and a laundry list of vitamins. Check out bok choy’s rap sheet here if you don’t believe me. I know you believe me, but check it out anyway.
I picked some up last time I was at the grocery store because I noticed it was mad cheap. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but then this happened so it’s okay.
It’s also quite beautiful and has a very mild, slightly cabbage-y flavor that would go well in literally every Asian dish I can think of.
The spiciness is all in the sauce. The sauce elevates this nice, healthy bowl of quinoa and veggies to super delicious status. Garlic, ginger, a little Thai curry paste, some rich peanutty goodness…I could eat it with a spoon, and have. But it’s better on the stir fry.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Spicy Stir Fried Bok Choy with Quinoa is quick, healthy dinner in a wok!
10 minPrep Time
14 minCook Time
24 minTotal Time
- 1 c uncooked quinoa
- 5-6 bok choy stems, chopped (separate the white and green parts)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 7 green onions, chopped (save the green tops for garnish)
- 1 smallish bell pepper (or 2-3 mini peppers)
- 8 oz. mini portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- about 1 1/2" fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs red curry paste
- 2 Tbs lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tbs agave (or your favorite sweetener)
- 2 Tbs soy sauce (gluten free and low sodium recommended)
- 4 Tbs peanut butter
- 1/2 c boiling water
- plain roasted peanuts to finish, crushed (optional)
- Cook the quinoa according to package. Prep the veggies.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree smooth.
- Add the oil to a wok or large skillet on medium heat. Add the white bok choy and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add the green bok choy and the rest of the veggies and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- At this point the quinoa should be done, so stir it in. Pour the sauce in and stir-fry everything together for 2 minutes.
- Serve topped with onion greens and crushed peanuts if you like.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/quinoa_bok_choy_nutrition.jpg" width="251" height="315" class="aligncenter size-full" title="quinoa_bok_choy_nutrition" alt="quinoa_bok_choy_nutrition"]
Pin it for the next time you need a quick, healthy dinner idea! What are some of your favorite quick dinners? I’m always looking for new ideas!
Show me what’s for dinner! Share your pic and tag it #eathealthyeathappy. I love to see what you’re making!
Find me here:
Pinterest: Eat Healthy Eat Happy/happy foodista