I love warming up with a big bowl of this savory lentil soup with spinach. It’s hearty, filling, super nutritious and so good I want to lick the bowl! All whole, all plant, all delicious and great for #MeatlessMonday.
I spent most of my life thinking I didn’t like lentils, mostly because “lentils” don’t sound delicious to me, and also because they’re frighteningly nutritious. The USDA says one cup – one cup! – of cooked lentils contains 63% of our recommended daily fiber. They’re also crazy-high in protein, iron, potassium and so much other stuff I can’t even talk about it right now.
I figured anything that nutritious had to taste like hamster pellets, a candid confession coming from a professed healthy eater. I’m surprising myself with my own honesty here.
But lentils, I was wrong about you. Totally and completely wrong! Lentils are mild, gently starchy little guys that are very nice to eat. And yet, so nutritious! Well played, lentils. Well played.
One of my favorite ways to use lentils is in this lentil soup with spinach. I love it because it’s super filling and full of savory flavor. Like, robustly savory. This soup satisfies me to my core.
I add garlic, onion, carrots, a few portobellos and some simple but effective seasonings to my lentil soup with spinach to get that super savory taste I love. You can add pretty much anything you like though.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
I love warming up with a big bowl of this savory lentil soup with spinach. It's hearty, filling, super nutritious and so good I want to lick the bowl!
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 c lentils, rinsed
- 4 c water
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion (any type), chopped
- 2-3 medium portobellos, sliced thick
- 1 6 oz. can no salt added tomato paste
- 2 c water
- 1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 6 c loose spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water and lentils to a boil in a large, lidded cooking pot. Boil for about 10 minutes while you prepare the veggies.
- Combine the olive oil and garlic in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the veggies and saute gently for 5-8 minutes, or until the onions are cooked through.
- Turn the lentils down to medium-low heat and stir in the tomato paste, water, vinegar and basil. Stir in the veggies. Simmer for 15-20 minutes (go longer if you like your lentils very soft), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach until well wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lid the pot, turn the heat to low and let the flavors mingle for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[img src="http://eathealthyeathappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/label-3.png" width="298" height="494" class="aligncenter size-full" title="Lentil and Spinach Stew nutrition" alt="Lentil and Spinach Stew nutrition"]
Add this one to your winter soup collection!
Here are some more of my soup recipes for your bowl licking enjoyment:
Error: Can't find instance of widget easyindex-4