Hummus is the perfect party food. Everyone loves it and you can dip stuff in it. Sit a bowl of hummus and some random dippables in any room and it immediately gets festive. Try it! And if it’s this savory roasted red pepper hummus with adorable mini peppers to dip, you’d better grab a drink and a silly hat ’cause the party’s already started.
Hummus is also one of the few bona fide party foods that’s incredibly healthy, which is another reason to love it (as though you needed one). It’s also vegan and gluten free, so everyone can enjoy.
This is a variation on my roasted garlic hummus, also super easy and delicious, replacing half the garlic with peppers. The garlic flavor in this version is very mild, kind of a nice background nuance that goes great with the peppers. The roasted garlic makes the hummus thick, creamy and totally craveable – without tahini! So if you don’t want to spend a ton of money on a tub of tahini just to make hummus, don’t. Make this hummus instead.
Eat Healthy Eat Happy
1 hrPrep Time
10 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (equals 1 cup dried or about 2 15 oz. cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 c water
- 2 heads roasted garlic ( here's how to roast garlic the easy way )
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted and seeded ( here are some great methods , and if you skip steaming and peeling I won't tell)
- about 2 Tbs olive oil for roasting the garlic and peppers
- 4 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (use more if you're spicy), plus a pinch for garnish
- a scant 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor and process until they're a paste. Add the water and process until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients one at a time, processing after each addition. Continue processing until everything's well blended and smooth. If the hummus seems too thick, add more water a few tablespoons at a time until it's the right consistency.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free friendly.
Per 47g serving: 89 calories (31 calories from fat); 3.4g fat (5%)(0g trans); 0mg cholesterol (0%); 102mg sodium (4%); 11.8g carbohydrates (4%); 3.3g fiber (13%); 3.5g protein; Vitamin A 13%; Calcium 2%; Vitamin C 44%; Iron 6%; Potassium 6%