These vegan potato pancakes are a fun, unique way to use my favorite tuber, potatoes! They’re a total crowd-pleaser – everyone loves them! #beholdpotatoes
This post is sponsored by Honest Cooking on behalf of Potatoes USA. All opinions are my own.
Check out these delectable potato pancakes! Golden-crisp outside, potato-goodness soft inside, seasoned just right and ready for you and the fam to load up with your favorite toppings. Easy to make and everyone approved – even picky eaters. I have firsthand proof!
Bonus round – they’re healthy and vegan! Best part – no one will know. Or care. They’ll be too deep in potato pancake bliss to ask questions.
And hey, they have a fun German name! Kartoffelkuchen. That’s “potato cake.” Just look at those gorgeous kartoffels! I hook you up with the good stuff. Healthy vegan recipes and German trivia.
Make these vegan potato pancakes because:
- Potatoes are awesome
- You’ll win the hearts of anyone you’re generous enough to share with
- They’re a great source of protein, fiber and potassium (especially with the skins on!)
- You can top them any way you want
- The recipe makes plenty, and they store well
- They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner
- Vegans and non-vegans love ’em
I topped this round with vegan sour cream, but I’ve also enjoyed them with ketchup, mustard, Sriracha, even hot pepper jelly. And they’re famously good with applesauce, but I haven’t tried that yet.
And everyone loves them! Even when we can’t agree on anything else, we can agree on potatoes.
For my vegan potato pancakes I use tofu as a binder in place of eggs. It loads them up with healthy, lean plant protein and lets the potato deliciousness shine through. I also leave the skins on to get the maximum fiber and nutrients.
Non-vegans can’t tell there’s anything special going on. Graeme isn’t concerned about food being vegan or extra-healthy, PLUS he’s notoriously picky, and he loved them. Said they were delicious and asked for more. Vegan potato pancakes ftw!
Gin, Eat Healthy Eat Happy
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 8 medium Russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 1 large onion, any color
- 1 red Bell pepper
- about 2/3 of a 14 oz. package of firm tofu
- about 1/3 c fresh parsley leaves (some stems are fine too)
- 3 Tbs whole wheat flour (or use a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp salt-free herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- about 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- Olive, vegetable, corn or canola oil for brushing pan
- Grate the potatoes, onion and pepper by hand or in a food processor.
- Chop the parsley by hand or in a food processor.
- Put the tofu in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- Brush a 6" skillet with oil and place over medium heat.
- Spoon about 3/4 c of the potato mixture into the skillet and use a spatula to flatten to about 1/2" thick.
- Cook about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
Pin this potato pancake deliciousness!
What are your favorite ways to love potatoes? If you make these potato pancakes or any potato creation, share them on Instagram and tag them #beholdpotatoes and #eathealthyeathappy. Show me what you’ve got cooking!
Find me here:
Pinterest: Eat Healthy Eat Happy/happy foodista