Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is a quick and easy meal with lower calories, great nutrition and big flavor! Fits with vegetarian, vegan, gluten free diets.
This recipe takes basic cooking skills and ten or fewer ingredients.
Active time – 10-15 minutes
Oven time – 30 minutes
This label was generated by Nutrifox using the ingredient and serving info included in the recipe. Free recipe nutrition calculators like MyFitnessPal can help you recalculate the info to reflect changes.
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is one of my favorite ways to have a little fun with dinner. It’s easy cooking and I know the clean-up is quick, so I’ve already got a head head start on a pretty great mood. Pile on the Mexican flavor and a bunch of fresh veg in bright colors and I’m ready to party. If I remember how seriously nutritious and calorie-smart this meal is as I bask in the deliciousness – full-blown fiesta mode.
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is a basic recipe you can change up with a few ingredient swaps! There are dozens of unique dinners here. Unleash your creativity! Here are some of my favorite variations:
Hot n’ Fiery
Add Anaheim, poblano, jalapeño, hatch or habanero peppers • use hot taco sauce • top with hot salsa
Use canned refried beans instead of black beans • add meatless ground crumbles or crushed walnuts • top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, dairy or dairy-free sour cream and chile sauce
Use salsa verde instead of taco sauce • add meatless chik’n • use white or Jack dairy or dairy-free cheese • top with dairy or dairy-free sour cream and salsa verde
Healthy AF (Clean Eating)
Pin it for later!
Before you start
For the Healthy AF (Clean Eating) variations you’ll need to make taco sauce, cauliflower rice and/or paleo cheddar in advance.
Gin @ Eat Healthy Eat Happy
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, instant brown rice or pre-cooked frozen brown rice
- 1 15.25 oz. can no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 16 oz. bottle taco sauce, any kind
- 1/2 a small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese or cheese alternative
- Taco seasonings like cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, chipotle, etc, no salt seasoning, or a pre-made taco seasoning mix
- Veggie toppings for burritos/tacos (lettuce, onion, jalapeno, salsa, etc)
- Sour cream or equivalent (Greek yogurt, vegan alternatives, etc)
- Suggested topping - 3 chopped tomatoes & 1/2 bunch of cilantro leaves, plus anything else you want to add
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Combine the cooked rice, beans, corn, taco sauce, pepper and onion. Spread in a 9" x 9" or similar-sized pan (grease the pan or apply cooking spray first if it isn't nonstick).
- Top with cheese or alternative, sprinkle with seasonings (optional) and bake 30 minutes.
- Let stand a minute or so before serving. Top portions with extra taco sauce, chopped tomatoes and cilantro leaves, or any (optional).
Nutrition info is based on the original recipe ingredients.
More easy, healthy dinners with brown rice!
Make it meatless/dairy free! Try meatless ground crumbles for turkey, vegetable broth for chicken broth, dairy-free cheese for Mexican cheese blend.
Make it dairy free! Try VeganEgg for eggs, dairy-free cheese for cheddar.
Make it meatless/dairy free! Try meatless ground crumbles for turkey, dairy-free cheese for cheddar or mozzarella.