Mexican Fried Brown Rice is one of my go-to dinners. It’s cheap, healthy and delicious! Vegan, gluten free and made with whole ingredients.
Mexican Fried Brown Rice has lots of protein, fiber, vitamins and nutrients, it’s vegan and four hungry people can eat their fill and have a great time doing it for a few bucks. If it was any more perfect it would wash the dishes afterwards.
The brown rice and black beans make this exceptionally cheap and healthy. I like to cook black beans from scratch because they’re cheaper than canned, plus…they’re not canned. Skipping the sodium and preservatives in canned beans is a good idea.
I like to cook a whole bag at once (it’s just going on in the background while I do other stuff), then divide them into freezer bags and use them as I need for the next month.
You can soak them overnight, but that’s too much planning ahead for me so I usually quick soak. Check out my post How to Cook Black Beans From Scratch the Easy Way – No Soaking! for an easy step-by-step. Or Pin it for later:
When it comes to the brown rice, you’ll be astonished to know I’m totally cheating: I use a rice cooker, like this inexpensive and well-reviewed model on Amazon. I’d link to my actual rice cooker, but alas they don’t seem to be carrying it anymore. What’s that about? Mine’s awesome.
If you don’t have a rice cooker or a favorite brown rice cooking method and the package directions don’t look fun, check out this method from Saveur.
I’m a huge brown rice fan. It’s full of fiber, nutrients, stabilizes blood sugar, is good for your heart…I could go on and on. It’s one of those miracle foods that, whatever’s wrong with you, brown rice has something to fix it. Plus, it’s delicious. Way more flavor than white rice, and you actually feel like you’re eating something. Check out this post by Vegkitchen.com for more deets on the wonders of brown rice.
I think you can also buy instant brown rice. I haven’t tried it, but it sounds like a nice time saver. But just get a rice cooker and eat a ton of brown rice! Brown rice is my jam.
Gin, Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Yields 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika (I like smoked)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, white or purple, chopped
- 1 bell pepper or 3 mini bell peppers (red or orange), chopped
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 c corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 c cooked brown rice
- a 15 oz. can salt free black beans (or 1 3/4 c black beans cooked from scratch)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, torn
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Combine the oil and garlic in a large saucepan or wok.
- Heat on low about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and red pepper flakes and simmer and stir another 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and pepper. Turn the heat up a bit and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and corn and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the brown rice and saute 5 more minutes. Fold in the beans, cilantro and salt. Add some black pepper and any additional seasonings you like to taste.
- You can use 1 tablespoon of oil instead of two, no problem. I haven’t tried a completely oil-free version yet.
Pin it for the next time you need an easy, healthy, delicious meal!
What are some of your go-to meals? Are you a brown rice person? Do you cook your beans from scratch? Leave me a comment!
Post updated 10/18/2016, 6/18/2017